This reaction sadly comes from the ignorance or misunderstandings about anime. So let me clear some things up and give you some reasons why you should be watching anime.
NOT ALL ANIME IS NARUTO!
- Shoujo: really girly animes since it's directed to 10-18 year old girls. Expect a lot of flowers and beautiful young men.
- Magical Girl: Sailor Moon. That's the best description I can give you.
- Sports: You think volleyball would be boring? What about swimming? Expect a lot of battle cries and overpowered characters that you'll love anyway.
- Slice of Life: Plot and conflict that will only last for 20 minutes. Expect adorably drawn characters and a lot of comedic anecdotes.
- Fantasy: Dystopian futures? Robots? Zombies? Man-eating giants? Anime has it all.
ANIME ISN'T HENTAI
Fun fact: Hentai actually means "pervert" in Japanese.
- OTHER PEOPLE's OPINIONS DON'T REALLY MATTER!
Honestly, if it has a good plot, good art, or there's absolutely nothing wrong with that certain anime, give it a try. Can this social barrier between people who watch and people who don't just topple over already? There is nothing to be a ashamed of with watching anime.
Now, fangirling/boying about it is another story.